Have you ever heard of Grand Month? It was new to me. Whoever thought up the concept. Bless you!
Apparently schools in the area have decided to expand on the Grandparents Day and bring reading, grandparents, and children together.
During this month grandparents far and near are being invited to read a book to their grandchild's school class.
And wouldn't you know it? My son who hated to read in school asked me if I wanted to read at Lindley's school.
I wanted to say NO...reading in front of class during my school days was a horror to me as a shy girl. Why would I want to subject myself to that misery again? Maybe it is because I am an adult and must continue to set an example for my grandkids and even adult kids. But mostly it is because I love my granddaughter and want to share something with her besides Koolaid and Spongebob.
So...to school I went...with my book and a stomach full of butterflies.
As soon as I heard Lindley say " Hey MeMe", my butterflies flew away and left me with a calm feeling. You see, one of my favorite places to be is in the company of curious and enthusiastic little minds.
Besides my book, I brought Sally, my dolphin friend, and we shared the story of how much fun it can be to find dolphins everywhere --even in your pocket.
The dolphins in the book shared this secret, " Remember, Look closely and expect surprise."
My hope is that there will always be in the life of each child someone who will nourish his or her sense of wonder and delight.
Lindley surely is on the right path because she wakes each day with a quest for adventure. Wonder what she will discover next?
All I know is that I am thankful that I was coaxed into leaving my comfort zone to sit in a little chair in the kindergarten room of an awesome little girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment